Pages

Monday, July 28, 2008

Lettuce Wraps

I got this off the Nick Jr site.

1 head iceberg lettuce (we used romaine)
1 pkg firm tofu cut into 1/2" cubes (I think mine were smaller cubes, but IME tofu needs to be in small amounts so it absorbs more flavor)
1 can (8oz) drained chopped water chestnuts
2 Tbsp canola oil (I used olive oil)
2 scallions, sliced (I used onion & probably more then they called for)
1 garlic clove, minced (I use the refrigerated minced garlic & was "generous" in my measuring of 1 clove LOL)
1 16 oz bag shredded broccoli, carrots & red cabbage (ok, this was silly to me, if you read the recipe, it tells you to only use half the bag, so why not just say so here! As it was, the bag I found at my grocery store was 10oz, so I used the whole 10oz bag)
1 tsp fresh grated ginger (I used powder)
Lettuce Wrap Cooking Sauce - you can see the recipe they used here. I used 2 Tbsp Braggs (like soy sauce only healthier), 4 Tbsp water & 2 tsp arrowroot powder (like cornstarch only healthier)


Saute garlic, onions, tofu, and ginger in oil for 1-2 minutes. Add water chestnuts & veggies & toss w/ cooking sauce. Cook 1-2 minutes, stirring. Remove from heat & let cool (I think next time I'll do this as a make ahead recipe & let it sit in the fridge for awhile, rather then just letting it cool for a few minutes while I prep the lettuce).

Wash lettuce leaves. Serve filling in a bowl with a platter of whole lettuce leaves, let each person wrap their own. Serve with purchased dipping sauces if desired. (I didn't get any dipping sauces, but I think dh would've liked this better w/ the spicy mustard like they have at chinese restaurants, so I'm hoping to find that to have for him next time we eat it).

My girls LOVED this! DH only tolerated it, so it's likely to be something we have on days he's not around though as mentioned above, he may be more accepting of it if I have the hot mustard sauce. He also suggested serving it with rice either as a side or mixed in. I think I may just mix brown rice into the vegetable mixture next time.

No comments: