Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Whole Wheat Pizza Crust - Bread Machine

I'd been wanting to start making ww pizza, using the bread machine, so when I couldn't make the supper I'd been planning to make because we're rationing milk (having to plan our milk a week at a time has it's disadvantages LOL), I decided this would be a good time to do it. I googled for a recipe and found this one, and dh has declared it a keeper LOL.

2 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup gluten flour
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt (it seemed salty to me, I'll cut this back some next time)
1 1/4 cup water
3 tbsp. olive oil
4 tsp. active dry yeast
cornmeal

Use the dough cycle (or stop the machine after the rising step, but I'd forget for sure, so good thing mine has a dough cycle LOL). Then turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. (I just went ahead & sprinkled the cornmeal & turned it out straight onto the pizza stone).

Lightly oil a 15-inch pizza pan (I used a baking stone, so no need to oil) and sprinkle with cornmeal. With floured hands, gently stretch the dough to fit the pan. Continue stretching until the dough covers the entire surface of the pan. Then top the dough with your choice of pizza fillings. We did pasta sauce, on 3/4 or so (for the girls & me) and just brushed the dough w/ olive oil for dh's part. Then black olives & cheese on all of it.

Bake the pizza on the bottom rack of a preheated 400 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until the crust is golden and the filling is melted and bubbly. Serve hot.

No comments: