Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Whole Wheat Bread - Bread Machine

I've been using a bread machine recipe for ww bread (for those days when I'm just lazy & in a hurry, when we have time to "play" the girls enjoy making ww rolls from scratch using a recipe from the Waldorf Kindergarten Snack Book) and while the bread tastes fine, I've been annoyed by the fact that the top always looks funny (bumpy) and it makes a small loaf, but when I tried doubling it, it overflowed my bread machine pan. So, then I noticed there was an all whole wheat, simple (not alot of ingredients) recipe on www.hillbillyhousewife.com so I tried it last week. The bread tasted good, but there was a huge air bubble in the top half of the loaf that collapsed at the end, so it looked really funny (caved in) and the top half of the loaf wasn't useable for sandwiches and such (I meant to toast them to use as bread crumbs and such, but forgot to do it before they got moldy). So, I tried the recipe again today, figuring the air bubble was a fluke. And it made a BEAUTIFUL load that completely filled my bread machine pan (so about twice the size of the loaves I was getting with the old recipe!) The girls each ate 2-3 slices for breakfast, so it has their stamp of approval, apparently. Here's the recipe:

1 2/3 c warm water
2 Tbsp oil (I used olive oil)
1/3 c sugar (I used honey, and it was a scant 1/3 c)
2 tsp salt
4 2/3 c whole wheat flour
2 tsp active dry yeast

Put in bread machine in the order listed for your machine. Bake using the whole wheat cycle. This makes a 2lb loaf.

No comments: